Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Sports Novel? Not Really.

One of the protagonists in my story plays field hockey. She is actually a goalie. Coincidence? Not really. I was a field hockey goalie in Junior High School and High School. I think it is a little funny that I went all the way back to Field Hockey in my own life when I started writing on November 1. My story doesn't take place in High School. I guess it takes place in College--although I'm not completely sure. They might be in some sort of futuristic athletic complex.

My characters are all athletes or coaches so far. I find this funny in a way because I think to myself: Self, are you writing a sports novel? I don't think it is really a sports novel. It just happens that the characters are athletes. The main males in the cast are ice hockey players and the female leads are field hockey players. This is a long way from the vampire stories I would write in day's of old. If you could even call them that since they never seemed to go anywhere.

Craig has been giving me suggestions for the names of the ice hockey players. So far we have laughed a lot but I have not used any of the names. If you are a Carolina Hurricane's fan you might get a chuckle out of some of the suggestions. Here are the top four that make me laugh hysterically: Brad Rindamore, Mutt Callen, Way Rippley and of Wam Cord. As you can see they get more and more ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment