Monday, January 11, 2010

My Nephew

Last month, my sister had a baby boy. We didn't expect him until January, but he decided to be born a little bit before Christmas and on our dad's birthday to boot! I don't think there is any beating being the first grandchild on our side of the family, being a grand son AND being born on grandpa's birthday!

I'm a little partial but I think my new nephew is the cutest baby in the world!

Here's the story about the day he was born:

It was the second day of our Christmas cookie baking extravaganza in the catering kitchen. Ironically, the day before she had made a comment that he could come out at any time and that it was okay with her. Little did we know, that on the following day, when I was trying to roll some Mexican wedding cookies into little balls she would hang up her cell phone and announce that the doctor had told her to come on into the hospital. Apparently her water had broken!

Let me tell you, it was actually one of the most exciting days of my life! I would never have imagined in my wildest dreams that it would be me who drove my sister to the hospital when it was time for my nephew to be born. Even more exciting is that after she was all hooked up to the monitors at the hospital I got to hear my little nephew's heartbeat. I have to say, that was a pretty profound moment. I have never heard an unborn child's heart beat before and under any other circumstances I might not have had this opportunity.

He took a little over a day to actually be born (probably because he knew it would be his grandfather's birthday), and after the doctors had examined him, it was determined that he was a full term baby, which made everyone sigh with relief.




1 comment:

  1. YEAY! You make the whole going into labor thing sound so cool!
    marybeth

    ReplyDelete